About This Blog...

I started this blog as a means of promoting my Etsy Shop. Most of the items here I have sold, or are for sale there. Take a peek. I think you'll like it.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Upcycle An Old Trunk, Part 3: Painted Faux Leather

In the last post I talked about relining an old trunk, in this one I'm gonna paint it.






First I mixed some black and brown paint together to make a super dark brown and painted it on the tray and inside the trunk.



Next I took some brown craft paint in a shade that was dark, but still lighter than the last color (for this I'm using the one on the left) and put just a bit of it in a small container. Then I dipped my brush in just a bit an wiped that tiny bit of paint back and forth to spread it through the brush. The idea is to have very little paint on the brush. The bristles should be almost dry.





I painted this color very lightly over the darker one just barely grazing the surface at first, then pressing a little bit harder as the brush started to run dry. If this is done right more of the paint should come off on the higher parts of the wrinkles and less on the lower. I had to be careful not to completely cover the first (darker) coat.






Here's a close-up of what it looks like when it's dry. I probably covered about three quarters of the first coat putting it thicker in some places and thinner in others at random.










Then I took my lightest color and did the same thing, but this time I went even lighter than the last. This color is supposed to be just the highlights.










When these colors go on they look really light and bright, but darken as they dry. (In case you're wondering where that nifty little paint tray came from it's a package that some washers came in)












Here's a close-up of the finished job.




An here's the finished trunk interior before a clear coat of poly. Sometimes the the poly will re-wet the craft paint, but if I avoid any excess strokes it won't be too bad.

                                                                           
Remember...Do Not Taunt the Sasquatch! 





No comments:

Post a Comment